Entry to the Higher Course
- National 5 PE pass
- Enjoyment of Sport and Physical Activity
- Other relevant prior experience in physical education, including experience gained outwith certificated courses may be considered.
The course consists of three compulsory units which are not taught separately but with an integrated approach.
Physical Education: Performance – 60% of overall grade
This unit builds on your previous performance to improve skills and techniques in a minimum of one activities. The choice of activities and performance contexts will be decided in consultation with the PE department.
8 marks for planing & preparation
40 marks for performance
12 marks for evaluation
Physical Education: Performance Skills
Ongoing assessment in a minimum of two activities throughout the year.
Physical Education: Factors Impacting Performance (FIP)
Ongoing assessment through booklet
Demonstrate Knowledge and Understanding of the Mental, Emotional, Social and Physical (MESP) factors.
Analyse and Evaluate FIP
Prepare and Implement a development plan to improve performance
Evaluate the process of personal performance development.
The work of this unit requires you to:
- Observe, record and analyse performance
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding in all areas of analysis
- Monitor a programme of work
- Evaluate the analysis and development process.
- Develop core Skills
The course is assessed by a combination of internal assessment and external assessment:
- Practical Performance
- Factors Impacting Performance (FIP) Unit
- Performance Skills Unit
- SQA Exam – 40% overall grade
Useful BBC Bitesize webpage for revision and study: